Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Do Gypsies even understand Gypsies? Are there any true traditions anymore?



Do Gypsies even understand Gypsies? Are there any true traditions anymore?




Agreed.

I have had folks send nasty emails to me, same as you. Telling me "Roma" don't do it this way or that way. Calling my a liar. I tell them: I'm not Roma, I never claimed to be! I am a Scottish Gypsy, not a Roma Gypsy and I've never claimed any of my family traditions to be Roma! My family's traditions are steeped in Faerie Folklore and Hoodoo Magic. I never said the traditions passed down in my clan was true of any other Gypsy family. I don't know if they were or not. I just know that they were passed down this way in my family and this is how they were taught to my by my two grandmothers. My family kept a record of everything in a 1400s Bible that has been passed down from one Holy woman to the next (grandmother to granddaughter), throughout the centuries women in my family were burned as witches (even though they never called themselves such) because of our magic art traditions and communicating with the little people. That is my family history. It is what it is.

But when I talk on my blog about traditions my family passed down, other Gypsies get all angry and say well that's not how their family taught them. Well, I never said it was!

In every culture, every family has vastly different traditions, that doesn't make any one of them more "African" or more "Cherokee" or whatever, it just means that each family, regardless of culture, has unique traditions.

I had one girl (a Tarot reader) yell at me and say I was giving readers like her a bad name, because I wrote an article about how my (Gypsy) family shunned the use of Tarot as Satanic. She went off in a rant about how TRUE GYPSIES (like her) were Pagans and Wiccans and consulted Tarot for everything and would NEVER be Christians! OMG! Wicca is a religion invented in 1953, did she even know that? Okay, so maybe her family were Pagans and used Tarot cards, who am I to argue with that?

I guess what gets folks so upset, is the fact that I am a Gypsy, and I practice magic of sorts, but folks are so used to Tarot readers and Wiccan spells, that they just can't wrap their minds around the stuff I do. I really hate it when folks find out my race and than say "Oh so you are a witch." ARGH! I hate that! Then they want to know, "Okay, so you're a Gypsy, but what culture are you, where are you from?" They act like Gypsy is a title or something, they have no idea it is an actual race. If I said African-American, or Native American, or Canadan, or Cherokee, they'd be "Oh cool, so tell me about your culture." But you say Gypsy and they treat you like it's a career choice or a religion or something. Around here (in New England) the word Gypsy is synonomous with the word witch, they are so deluded and have no idea that Scottish Gypsies is the ACTUAL name of our race and culture! I finally say it means I'm from Scotland and they go "Oh, cool, so you are a Witch from Scotland, why aren't you wearing a kilt?" ARGH!  

I don't mind the people who don't understand, so much as the entertainers and showpeople, who work as Tarot readers, and say I'm ruining their careers, because my REAL Gypsy family doesn't have traditions that matches the made up Hollywood myths they think of when they think Gypsies. they say every time I talk about things my grandmother said, I put their jobs at risk, because people think of Tarot when they think of Gypsies!

But the fact remains, I was talking about what MY grandmother taught ME. I wasn't talking about all Gypsy families in general, I was retelling the history of my own family. *sheesh* Why do folks have to get all upset, whenever they meet other Gypsy families? From what I can see EVERY Gypsy family is unique and TRUE Gypsy traditions are as vast as the ocean and come in all shapes and sizes, no one any better or worse than any other. Can't we just all get along and agree that each clan has it's own unique traditions?

~EelKat


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Good morning Starshine! Liked this post? Looking to connect with me online? I love social networks and am on most of them. You can find me on: BloggerEtsyFaceBookGoogle+KeenMySpaceNaNoWriMoProBoardsScript FrenzySpoonflowerSquidooTwitterULC Ministers NetworkWordpress, and Zazzle Feel free to give me a shout any  time. Many blessings to you, may all your silver clouds be lined with rhinestones and sparkle of golden sunshine. Have yourself a great and wonderful glorious day!

~Rev. Wendy C. Allen aka Empress EelKat of Laughing Gnome Hollow



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post was written by Wendy C Allen aka EelKat, is copyrighted by The Twighlight Manor Press and was posted on Laughing Gnome Hollow's Traditional Gypsy Magic and Scottish Hoodoo Blog @ http://laughinggnomehollow.blogspot.com and reposted at EK's Star Log @ http://eelkat.wordpress.com and parts of it may also be seen on http://www.squidoo.com/EelKat and http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com  If you are reading this from a different location than those listed above, please contact me Wendy C. Allen aka EelKat @ http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile and let me know where it is you found this post. Plagiarism is illegal and I DO actively pursue offenders. Unless copying a Blog Meme, you do not have permission to copy anything appearing on this blog, including words, art, or photos. This will be your only warning. Thank you and have a glorious day! ~ EelKat



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Did you know you can now get a FREE Kindle for your PC? Be sure to download your FREE Kindle directly from Amazon today. Don't have Windows PC? No worries! Amazon is also offering 100% FREE Kindles for: AndroidWindows Phone 7MaciPhone, and BlackBerry. And don't miss out on over 1.8 million Free eBooks from Amazon's Kindle Store.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment