Sunday, September 16, 2012

How does one prove they are married to a god?



Yeah still reading and responding to blogs of godspousery issues. This is one of the more logical posts on godspousery. I've been trying to find info on it, and some of the blog posts I've found just seem as though they were written by a 14 year old screaming fan girl, who just got done watching fantasy movies and is looking to marry the actor who played the god, not actually the god himself. Kind of off putting really.

Here's the thing, I'm a woman in my 40's looking for SERIOUS info on godspouses devoted for life, not hormone crazed teenagers who will dump their god spouse soon as the next big hit movie comes out. Why, well, 15 or so years ago, I was asked by a strange god I had never heard of before, to be his wife. I was a Christian at the time and when I researched to find out who this guy was, I freaked out when I discovered he was a Voodoo deity (lwa). I did the whole, no way is that ever going to happen! (Because I held the belief that Voodoo was evil, Satanic, yadda, yadda, yadda). But this lwa continues to visit me in my dreams every night, tells me he'll wait for me to come to my senses and stop being scared of him, some day I'll trust him and know that this is the path I'm meant to walk.

So, I continue on being a good little Christian and avoiding all those "wicked pagan things" including Voodoo, while he keeps showing up in my creams each night and telling me that my life is about to change, and he'll be right there beside me through it all, and than I'll understand. Me, I think, I'm going crazy and try telling myself none of this is real, it's just a dream. He just says "You'll see".

Well, see I did! Suddenly everything went wrong, really wrong, really fast: my grandmother died, my engagement was ended because my future husband decided to become a celibate type priest, my dad went into a coma, a flood took my house, I started rebuilding only to have that house burnt to the ground by vandals, I spent 6 years homeless living under a tarp, my church excommunicated me after 27 years of faithful service, and one day I was sitting at the library trying to figure out what the heck was happening, when I saw this book about Voodoo sitting on a desk opened to a chapter about this particular lwa (Damballa, btw). So I started studying Voodoo and found out it was nothing like I thought it was.

From there, one thing lead to another and once I stopped be scared of Voodoo and started paying more attention to Damballa (who I found to be patient, kind, gentle, loving and someone I could trust) all of a sudden my life turned back around, and the more I devoted my life to him, the better my life became. I mean 15 years ago the thought of marrying a Voodoo lwa and devoting the rest of my life to him was a terrifying thought that I wanted nothing to do with, and now today, it's a comforting thought that I look forward to. But I still was putting it off, because it just seemed too crazy to be real. I was starting to lean towards, yeah, I think I could marry this guy and devote every fiber of my life to him, but wait a minute, how do I explain something like this to people without sounding crazy? I mean, it's like,  "Oh hello, no, I'm sorry I can't go on a date with you,  see I got a wedding ring, yeah, I'm married. I'm sorry, no you can't meet my husband because he's a  snake god and you can't see him, because he's like invisible and I only see him at night in dreams..." I mean, that just screams loon bin to most folks, so how the heck am I suppose to handle all this?

On one hand I'm like I'm ready to do this and on the other hand I'm like this is just crazy, who marries a spirit being/deity/god?  He points out the thousands of Catholic women married to Christ, and I go, "Hey, you're right, I never thought of that! But that's Jesus, who marries other gods?" He says lots of people have done it. Really? Okay, well if lots of people have done it, than Google should direct me to a few of those folks right? Silly me, Google came back with 48 pages of results. Okay, so he's right and I'm wrong.

But than there's the whole Voodoo religion thing, I mean, I'm not Voodoo, sure I agree with some of the stuff, sure I could see maybe attending services at a Voodoo temple if not for the fact the nearest one to me is some 700 miles away. But I don't believe a lot of the stuff, I outright disagree with several dogmas, and I just can't see myself ever becoming an initiate. I'm not a Vodunist, how the heck can I marry a Voodoo deity?

He says, Voodoo isn't about the religion, initiation, or dogmas, and folks who get hung up on the dogmas of Voodoo are stuck on an ego trip, and are in it more to show off to other humans, than to actually serve the gods.  He tells me, don't listen to the self righteous leaders who say you have to do this or you have to do that, because they are just making up their own rules or following after rules made up by other men, and the lwa can come to any one, any time, any place, and they don't have to belong to the Voodoo religion to be in contact with a lwa. People don't choose the lwa, the lwa chooses them.

So, than in May 2012, I finally say, "Okay, I've made up my mind, I'm ready to marry you, let's do this." Than I'm like "Wait a sec, how in the heck do I actually DO this?" I can't just walk into a local church or court house or town hall and say: "I'm marrying this snake god that you can't see, can you officiate the service?"

So that's where I am at now, and why I've spent the last few days Googling other godspouses trying to find out what it is they actually did to officiate and legalize their marriage to their god. What did you actually do? Was there a wedding? Voodoo has weddings for such things, I know, but that involves the whole becoming an initiate and going to Haiti, neither of which are an option at the present moment. But than he's telling me, to stop worrying about that because I don't need to be a part of any religion or initiation to serve him, and all the ritual stuff about Voodoo lwa weddings that's just a load of hooey made up by men, that, we just need a small local private wedding ritual, just me and him and a witness to officiate the service. He say's "Think of it as an elopement."  Great, so how exactly do I do THAT? He has very specific instructions on some stuff (like I should wear a white dress, and he wants me to have this ring made up with a huge flat green stone and a gold snake wrapped over the stone, and he wants me to built this white cabinet like altar) but than other stuff he's just like "You'll figure out what to do when the time is right. Don't worry about the details. Just prepare things as I told you and everything else will fall into place."

And here I am still asking: "Well, okay, but HOW THE HECK DO WE OFFICIATE THE SERVICE!?!?!" He just says again "You worry too much. Don't worry about." *sigh*

So, it is safe to say, that at this moment I am confused on what to do next. I suppose my next course of action is to take a sketch of this ring around to jewelers and find out how much it will cost to have something like this made, than go about building that altar.

In the meantime what I would like to find out from other godspouses is this:

What was your wedding like? Was there a wedding? Who officiated it? Did anyone officiate it? When you tell someone you are married to a god, how would you prove that in a court of law? Do you actually have a marriage certificate that you can show people as proof "See, I'm married to a god, I've got papers to prove it." Or are you not in fact actually legally married at all, and it's just some sort of quasi marriage handfasting thing? (Sorry, didn't mean that to sound rude, or disrespectful to folks who are handfasted, I don't know how else to word it. I just know that in my state, handfastings are considered non-binding, and border on being illegal for being considered "fraud marriages".  I was handfasted to a man years ago, lived 17 years of my life believing that legally I was his wife, only to find out one day that I had no spousal rights and could do 40 years in prison for "marriage fraud" if any one had decided to file such charges. I don't want to go through that sort of thing again. Thus why I worry about this whole aspect of marrying a god.) I guess I just want to know, what did other folks do in order to actually legally become the spouse of a god, and what means do you have of proving your godspouse statues in court, should you ever have to do such a thing?

How does one prove they are married to a god?

Am I weird for even asking this?

Did you ever think about this sort of stuff?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever wonder what it was like to live with Autism?  
--------------------
I have Autism. For more of my life I rarely spoke and was considered "too crazy" to ever live a normal life. I communicated via writing instead of vocally. I did not attend school. Psychologists said I would never drive a car, never get a job, never go to college, never function as a meaningful member of society, never be able to take care of myself or live on my own. They said there was no hope for me, I would need full-time care my whole life. 
--------------------
My progression was long and slow and very hard. Things other people found easy to do (getting dressed, brushing teeth/hair, walking across the street, etc,) I found extremely confusing and hard to learn. I was prone to wandering off and getting lost (I still am). Driver's ed takes most people a few weeks to learn - it took me 5 years. 
--------------------
I determined to prove the doctors wrong, but it was far harder to do, than most people would imagine. I got my first job working at Macy's at age 30 (a very difficult job as I had to deal one on one with customers and I still at that point was not talking in a manner that could be understood by others). I got my GED at age 34. I got my driver's license at age 35. I started college at age 36. By age 37 I had become a Phi Theta Kappa Honor Student and I was finally able to speak to others in full spoken verbal conversation for the first time in my life. 
--------------------
Now you can find out what it's like Being an Adult with Autism
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning Starshine! Liked this post? Looking to connect with me online? I love social networks and am on most of them. You can find me on: BloggerEtsyFaceBookGoogle+KeenMySpaceNaNoWriMoProBoardsScript FrenzySpoonflowerSquidooTwitterULC Ministers NetworkWordpress, and Zazzle Feel free to give me a shout any  time. Many blessings to you, may all your silver clouds be lined with rhinestones and sparkle of golden sunshine. Have yourself a great and wonderful glorious day!
--------------------
~Rev. Wendy C. Allen aka EelKat of Laughing Gnome Hollow

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI: I welcome all email! That includes arrogant, bigoted, rude, ignorant, snide hate mail many uber religious folks enjoy sending my way.  However, be forewarned that by choosing to send me a letter, email, blog comment, FaceBook comments, or any other message from any other means, which falls into any category, you thereby relenquish all ownership rights and responsibilities concerning your letter(s) and comments(s). I will post any and all letters, both positive and negative, that I feel require or deserve a response. If you don't want the world knowing your troubles, knowing you are a hater, or knowing you are a bigoted jackass, please refrain from sending me mail, because if you get really bitchy, I'll go right ahead and use your real name too. Thank you and have a nice day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know you can now get a FREE Kindle for your PC? Be sure to download your FREE Kindle directly from Amazon today. Don't have Windows PC? No worries! Amazon is also offering 100% FREE Kindles for: AndroidWindows Phone 7MaciPhone, and BlackBerry. And don't miss out on over 1.8 million Free eBooks from Amazon's Kindle Store.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post was written by Wendy C Allen aka EelKat, is copyrighted by The Twighlight Manor Press and was posted on Houseless Living @ http://houselessliving.blogspot.com and reposted at EK's Star Log http://eelkat.wordpress.com and parts of it may also be seen on http://www.squidoo.com/EelKat and http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com  If you are reading this from a different location than those listed above, please contact me Wendy C. Allen aka EelKat http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile and let me know where it is you found this post. Plagiarism is illegal and I DO actively pursue offenders. Unless copying a Blog Meme, you do not have permission to copy anything appearing on this blog, including words, art, or photos. This will be your only warning. Thank you and have a glorious day!                             
--------------------
                                                                   ~ EelKat
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment